Custom Search

Cable Scarf

Use any yarn that works with size 10 or 5.5mm needles
Gauge is not that important here.
If you use smaller needles the scarf will be narrower, and wider if you use larger needles.
I found the best result is achieved using yarn that works with size 10 (US) needles.





Abbreviations

sts = stitches
K = knit
P= Purl
CO = cast on

Stitches Used

Seed stitch (over 6 sts)
1:K1, P1, till end (ending with P1)
2:P1, K1, till end

Reverse stocking stitch:
P on right side, K on reverse

Cable stitch (over 8 sts and 8 rows)
Row 1:*Cable 2 back
(slip 1st 2 sts on a cable needle and hold them at the back K 2, Kthe  2 sts on the cable needle)
Cable 2 front
(slip 1st 2 sts on a cable needle and hold them at the front K 2, K the 2 sts on the cable needle)

Row 2, 4, 6, 8 - P
Row 3,5,7 - K *

Row 9 repeat from * to * (in other words row 1-8)
These 8 rows form the cable pattern.


Instructions

CO 34 sts.
Set up the pattern:
6 sts in seed stitch
2 in reverse stocking stitch
8 in cable pattern
2 reverse stocking stitch
8 in cable pattern
2 reverse stocking stitch
6 in seed stitch

Repeat pattern until scarf is as long as you would like it to be then cast off.

Tips: I never knit the 1st stitch, I slip it – it makes for a neater edge.

17 comments:

Affordable Wonders said...

When you slip the 1st st do you do it knit or purlwise? I love your scarf I'll be giving it a try :) thanks for sharing

Louise Knits said...

I slip it knitways...i know some people slip it purlwise...guess its what will work best for you!!

Andrea said...

Thanks so much for the pattern! I think I'll be giving this one a try soon.

I actually blogged about it on my Monday morning blog: http://stitchsilly.blogspot.com/2011/09/wahoo-for-fabric.html

anna said...

How nice it would be to be able to knit this beautifully.
what a cozy looking scarf.

Peppermint Mocha Mama said...

You wouldn't happen to have this in a pdf format, would you?

Anne said...

stionHow do you print out this
pattern. busybeeanne

Anne said...

How can I print out this
pattern

Baba said...

I printed page 1 & 2 from my pc printer with no problem.

Louise Knits said...

i have a pdf pattern for sale...
http://louisefelice.com
i dont know how to add it here ...

Terri R. said...

This scarf is absolutely beautiful! I made the first one for a friend and when my daughter saw it she fell in love with it. I am now knitting one for her in a soft blue to march her eyes. She can't wait until I finish it.

Anonymous said...

I think you need to cast on 36 sts to make this pattern work. The cable pattern doesn't account for the 2 slipped sts.

Or am I doing something wrong?

Anonymous said...

its 34 sts

Anonymous said...

Any idea about how much yarn needed or do I just guess?

Anonymous said...

To print this pattern, just copy and paste into a word document. Nice way to practice cable.

Donna Lee Little said...

What is row 1?

Unknown said...

when you slip purl wise, the stitch will stay straight. If you slip knit wise, this stitch appears twisted.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for all I learn on your site. I've been looking for a cabled scarf to which I can add pockets, yielding (I hope) a Reader's Wrap. Your design may work for that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...