Custom Search

European Antiques

Hand Knitted Baby Cardigan Pattern

By Popular Demand!
This is in one size only - takes for ever to figure out other sizes!
For chest 10" - finished measurements about 14"
Sleeve 3"
You will need:
2 balls of a soft yarn that woks with 3.25mm (US 3 Needles)
A button

tension is 25sts and 50 rows for a 4x4 inch square

If you are a beginner you may not understand this pattern - for more experienced knitters, I am sure you will see the 'pattern' of the decrease rows forming the raglan)
I think this was originally a Debbie Bliss pattern i had written down somewhere so please forgive me if there are any mistakes - as i keep saying, I am hopeless at writing down patterns and i just had some notes on a scrap of paper!


Back
cast on 45 sts
knit until back measures 3" ending with a wrong side row
cast off 4 sts at beginning of next 2 rows
leave remaining 37 sts on a spare needle

sleeves (I  knit both at the same time)
cast on 29 sts
K 7 rows
increase:* k3, m1, k to last 4 sts m1, k3
knit 7 rows*
repeat * to * until there are 35 sts
knit until sleeve measures 3" ending with a wrong side row
cast off 4 sts at the beginning of next 2 rows
leave remaining 27 sts on a spare needle


Left Front
cast on 25 sts
Knit for 3" ending with a wrong side row
cast off 4 sts at begining on next row
k1 row
leave remaining 21 sts on a spare needle

Right front
cast on 25
knit for 3" ending with a right side row
cast off 4 stst at beginning of next row
you have 21 sts.

Keep these sts on your needle
knit across the stitches of the right front.
knit across stitches on spare needle of the right sleeve
knit across sts from the back
knit across sts from the left sleeve
knit across sts form left front

You should now have 133 sts (i hope!)
 knit 2 rows. (or 1 row depending which side you want the buttonhole on)
button hole row
k2, k2tog, yard over needle, k to end
knit

K18, k2tog, k2, skpo( slip1, knit 1, pass slipped stitch over)
k21,k2tog,k2,skpo,
k31,k2tog,k2,skpo,
k21,k2tog,k2,skpo,k18,
k3 rows

k17,k2tog,k2,skpo,
k19,k2tog,k2,skpo,
k29,k2tog,k2,skpo,
k19,k2tog,k2,skpo,k17
knit 3 rows

K16, k2tog,, k2, skpo,
k17, k2tog, k2, skpo,
k27, k2tog, k2, skpo,
k17. k2tog,k2, skpo, k16,
knit 3 rows

you see a pattern forming?
continue in this way keeping the k3 rows after the decreases until you have 93 sts.

now use the same decrease method but on every following right side row until there are 61 sts left
knit 3 rows.
cast off

phew

sew up and add button!

25 comments:

Sandi & Robbie said...

THANK YOU LOUISE! The pattern might be a little over my head, but I'll search out help. It's just an adorable little sweater...hope mine turns out as cute as yours. Thank you for sharing.

Carrie said...

Hi Louise!
I am making this to match the baby hat you had on your page. A bit confused by the pattern,When you leave yan on needle to start sleeves is it all done on sam ize needles? Is there any way youcould try spelling out this pattern for me?

Louise Knits said...

hi carrie
keep using the same size needles throughout

bubby said...

thanks im 70 yrs old ill try this pattern bubby

arline north said...

I'm doing the baby cardigan to go with the adorable baby hat with the eyelets -- I just got to the instructions for the sleeves and I need clarification of the increase (*k3, ml k to last e sts ml k3) What does m l mean?
I am not familiar with that m instruction.
I love the hat and so far the sweater is just adorable.

thanks for your help and assistance.

arline north

Louise Knits said...

Hi arlene M1 means make one (knit twice in the next stitch,once at the back and once from the front)
so you increase a stitch,hope this makes sense!

Anonymous said...

M1 - pick up yarn BETWEEN two stitches. [not the loops but the horizontal short bar between two stitches]

Easy to check YouTube to see what M1 (not ML) means. It's easy once you see how it's done - to avoid hole.

Anonymous said...

I'm a little confused as to which wool to buy on all your patterns as they are different in UK

Lynnety said...

It looks like double knit, is is a small baby size - 0/3
months?

Lulu Fan said...

how do you put the sweater together

Elika said...

Hello Louise,

I need your help. I am trying to knit the baby cardigan. I am not new to knitting but I am used to no patterns. So, I am very confused when it comes to gauging . Please help me understand why do we gauge when we cast on. so when i cast on, when do I use the gauge. I tried to look online but couldnt understand it.

thanks,
bitazimi@gmail.com

Pat said...

What do you do with the loose ends of each piece, when you're leaving them on the needles. Also, when you're knitting the pieces together?

ReenieBeenie said...

Just finished this. The arms are a bit short so probably would recommend knitting them longer otherwise a great pattern. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Can someone please help me in regards to the length,
3" really looks way to small.

Many thanks in advance,
Cheers
Ana

Anonymous said...

best measure the baby's arm from the underarm

Ian Feavearyear said...

When you say "continue in this way keeping the k3 rows after the decreases until you have 93 sts" do you still knit 3 rows after you get 93 sts and then start decreasing every other row or, as soon as you get down to 93, then decrease every other row?

Ian Feavearyear said...

What Louise describes as M1 is often referred to as KFB or knit front and back. To me, M1 means insert the left needle under the loop of yarn between the needles and then knit it (you can see examples of this on YouTube)

Ian Feavearyear said...

Anonymous, I agree, 3" does seem too short

Mauricette Coman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Can anyone tell me how to print just the patterns?

Joan Carlson said...

Is 3 inches really the measurement for the back? or should I just double it all the way around?
thanks for any advice

lynn said...

Hi, just wanted to let you know I have knit lots of little cardi's for my local hospital and friends,
such an easy pattern too.

karen m said...

I love this little cardigan but would also like the pattern for the hat a few of your ppl are commenting on...thanks karen
karinz99@bigpond.net.au

Anonymous said...

Hi, thanks for the free pattern. I am a new knitter & working on this and a a bit stuck on the instructions to 'knit across' the stitches left on the spare needles of the different panels. eHow seems to think that 'knitting across' is just a normal knit row rather than binding off but I assume that the idea is to join the different panels together to have one piece of 133 stitches?

Omo said...

Thanks Louise, I just finished the cardigan. It's a very beautiful pattern and easy to make but it's rather small for even a new born I think. How can one make a bigger size?
Omo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...